Sunday, September 16, 2012

"Franklin Magic Chef" Magic Show.

The MAGIC CHEF restoration project!! 

Day 1 - Sunday, Sept 16 2012

SOOOOoOoooOO I plan on moving to Augusta, GA and I had a great idea. How about I start stock piling the things I want in my house into my 3 bedroom apartment and try to do complex restorations on my terrace as it turns from Summer to fall. 

GENIUS!

Well actually I think it is. Here's my logic. I figure, if I spend the time I have before I am ready to move finding awesome deals and if necessary fixing things up, I could put them in storage and bring them with me down to GA when I'm ready. 
See I figure if I move down to GA and don't have some of the things I want for my home already I'll just be trying to buy up a bunch of expensive stuff.. no patience no deals no sales just $$$$$$ being spent. This way.. I can find cool deals and stuff that I can restore or just hold on to.

So.. enough about my genius.. (u can use this idea if u plan on buying a home.. just tell everyone who put u on fam!!). Let's talk about the MAGIC SHOW I have for you happening right now! 

Below.. is a Franklin Magic Chef 6 Burner Stove with 2 ovens and a Griddle. This joint is INSANE!! I found it on Craigs List and the seller was selling for $500.00. I made an offer of $300.00 and he accepted. WHAT'S UP JOHN!!!! Thanks again!!!

SO after throwing my back out trying to get it up to my apartment on the 7th floor and out on the terrace.. arrrrrrrgh.. I started to take this joint apart and get to work!! 

Now this thing has CRAZY RUST, and all sorts of GREASE and GUNK and DIRT from sitting in a garage for YEARS... oh yeah and MAAAAAD SPIDER EGGS.. yuuuck!

So welcome to the magic show... watch the magic happen. Oh.. this won't be a 1 blog thing.. cause this is going to take me some time fam.. but hey.. a good blog will leave u in suspense anyway!


Here it is.. the Franklin Magic Chef see all that rust!!??! and all that dirt.

You can see the rust.. i took the knobs off and all that so I can start taking this joker apart.


I already removed the burners and the spill guards before I took this picture so you're looking at the guts of the stove. The good thing is that Stoves aren't very complicated to fix.. it's just no joke. Gonna take a lil skill. 
So now this is after some cleaning. As you can see the dirt and the rust are almost all gone from the base plate.  The side panel is cleaned and I started to get the backsplash cleaned up as well. Also you'll notice that there is a sanded portion on the front left side. I did that to see if i could easily sand down the original paint. I'm going to repaint the stove black and keep that black and steel look going. Gotta figure out how to keep the steel showing without it rusting again. 

Still cleaning and I sanded the top to get rid of the rust spots. But some of the rust i couldn't remove with my sander .

In that spray bottle is a rust remover that I have to let sit overnight. SOooo I've got to chill till tomorrow. (Dammit) in the meantime I'll work on some of the other components and get them clean while I can. 


1 comment:

  1. That first picture, I'm like WOW, what an job you've got cut out for you but you've done the preliminary cleaning quite nicely. It's bigger than I thought from reading your FB post, with not being familiar with the brand, was thinking standard house model. Great idea too, to get deals and fixer uppers before your move. Overall, good start and wishing you all the best.

    Sis. Naomi

    ReplyDelete

Oh snap! Your about to write a message. DOPE!!
Thanks for your insight fam!